Aluminium Conductor Steel Reinforced (ACSR) is concentrically stranded conductor with one or more layers of hard drawn 1350-H14 aluminium wire on galvanized steel wire core. Steel core wire is available in Class A, B or Class C galvanization for corrosion protection. Additional corrosion protection is available through the application of grease to the core or infusion of the completed conductor with grease.
The proportion of steel and aluminium in an ACSR conductor can be selected based on the mechanical strength and current carrying capacity demanded by each application.
- high tensile strength
- better sag properties
- economic design
- best suited for transmission lines with long spans
ACSR manufactured by SIM ROD SAMA meets or exceeds the requirements of all international standards like ASTM, AS, BS, CSA, DIN, IEC, NFC, SS -etc
ACSR is a composite concentric-lay-stranded conductor. ACSR conductors are manufactured in accordance with the requirements of the latest applicable issues of ASTM specification B232. The steel strand or strands form the central core of the conductor, around which is stranded one or more layers of aluminum 1350-H14 wires. The steel core may consist of a single strand or a concentric-stranded cable of 7, 19, 37 or more wires. Numerous combinations of aluminum and steel strands and layers are possible. The sizes and standings listed on the following pages are those most frequently used for overhead lines.
ACSR conductors are recognized for their record of economy, dependability and favorable strength/ weight ratio. The steel strands are added as mechanical reinforcement. The cross-sections above illustrate some common standings.
Aluminum Conductors, Steel-Reinforced (ACSR) are extensively used for overhead distribution and transmission lines.
High-conductivity aluminum (/HC) (62.0% IACS)
Regular-strength class C galvanized steel core (/Gc2)
High-strength class A galvanized steel core (/GA)
Extra-high-strength class A galvanized steel core (/GA4)
• Ultra-high-strength class A galvanized steel core (/GA5)
• Regular-strength class A zinc-5% aluminum mischmetal alloy – coated steel core (/MA2)
• High-strength class A zinc – 5% aluminum mischmetal alloy – coated steel core (/MA3)
• Extra-high-strength class A zinc – 5% aluminum mischmetal alloy – coated steel core (/MA4)
• Ultra-high-strength class A zinc – 5% aluminum mischmetal alloy – coated steel core (/MA5)
• Aluminum-clad steel core (/AW) (see ACSR/AW catalogue section)
SIM ROD SAMA manufacture and supply ACSR on wooden / steel reels depending on customer requirement.